Heart Disease: Everything you need to know about this preventable disease
Do you know what the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States is? Heart disease. However, it’s also one of the most preventable diseases. That’s why the month of February National Heart Month, a whole month dedicated to helping raise awareness on how you can educate you and your loved ones about heart disease, prevent this disease, and also how you can make heart-healthy choices.
Here are some fast facts to help you learn more about this preventable disease:
- Heart Disease is the number one cause of death in the United States
- Heart Disease claims more lives than all other forms of cancer combined
- Coronary heart disease is the most common type of heart disease
- Someone has a heart attack every 34 seconds in the United States
- Someone dies from a heart disease-related event every minute in the United States
- 1 in 3 women die from heart disease compared to 1 in 31 women die from breast cancer
- 90 percent of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease
Making small changes can make a big difference when it comes to preventing heart disease. Start with some of the following:
- Get active: Adding exercise to your daily routine can help improve your heart. If you don’t currently exercise, start with small steps. Go for 15 minute walks, 3-4 times a week.
- Eat healthy: Avoid high sodium meals and cook heart healthy meals. Try not to add salt to your foods, and replace high sodium recipes with other seasonings.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can increase your risk for heart disease and stroke.
- Educate yourself: Read online articles about heart disease. Get the latest facts, research and medical tips about the topic through trusted sources.
- Talk to your doctor: Get your regular check-up, labs and screenings. Ask your doctor about the potential risks you may have and how you can improve your heart health.
This month, make a commitment to learn more about how you and your loved ones can set heart-healthy goals, so you can live and love longer!